Developed under the DVB (Digital Video broadcasting) project in 2003, the DVB-S2 modulator is undoubtedly a second generation specification applications based on satellite broadband. Structured in the form of toolkit, this system allows you to implement various applications such as sound and TV broadcasting, and interactivity. It also offers different professional services too including gathering of digital news through satellite and TV contribution link.
It’s Specified Concepts
Being an advanced form of Satcom modem, the modulators of DVB-S2 standard majorly incorporates the following three concepts –
• Best performance in transmission
• Overall flexibility
• Reasonable complexity of the receiver
With these concepts behind its development, it becomes capable of covering every application area while keeping a reasonable level of complexity for single-chip decoders.
It’s Supporting Applications
The key motive behind the flexible designing of DVB-S2 modulator is to support variety of applications. These include –
• Broadcasting high-definition (HD) as well as standard definition (SD) of television.
• Interactive services for consumer application such as internet access for both personal computers and IRDs (Integrated receivers – decoders)
• Internet trunking
• Distribution of data content
• Professional applications including news gathering and TV contribution.
The Schematic Structure
In your endeavor to understand the importance of this second generation satcom modem, you need to have a clear idea about the structure of its sequential transmission system. It follows the generation of signal in two different phases, which involve unique framing structures:
• BBFRAME: This framing structure operates at the BB (base-band) level. It carries diversity of signaling bit to ensure flexible configuration of the receiver as per the scenario of application.
• PLFRAME: This structure functions at PL (physical layer) level. It plays a crucial role in carrying very few highly secured signaling bits to ensure robust signaling and synchronization at this level.